Dorkier Than Wired

I essentially agree with everything Scott Brown has to say in this cri de coeur over at Wired urging geeks to stay home on Friday night and saves the shows we love (or at least think ought to be allowed to continue to exist) from oblivion. But, and perhaps this reveals the depths of my geekdom, is that really such a sacrifice to make? My friend Alex and I regularly got together and watched Dollhouse this spring, often pairing it with something else, and I know we had a great time. I actually have Thursday nights blocked out for Bones and 30 Rock, too. Sure, it's rad to go out some place cool on Friday night, drink something interesting, whatever. But if a critical mass of your friends are geeks, or recovering geeks, like mine are (and I really do mean that with the utmost respect and sense of membership in a tribe, it's not like staying in to save Dollhouse, or Eureka, or whatever, is such a massive sacrifice. Show off some rad cooking skills. Mix up martinis like Betty Draper on a bad day. Rearrange the furniture. And watch Eliza Dushku kick some ass. A lot of Fridays, such an arrangement is probably at least as fulfilling as a night at the multiplex. And for the cost of even two, or three, or four tickets, you can buy a lot of booze and popcorn.