Rough and Tumble

I suppose I'm marginally distressed that Oasis have broken up--"There are many things that I would like to say to you, but I don't know how" is a bang-up example of a sincere rock lyric, and I suppose I always liked the band fine. But man, what I REALLY like is the style of rock reporting in the Sun:

Liam's no-show at the Chelmsford leg of V on Sunday went down like a lead balloon with his older brother. Viral laryngitis was blamed - but bushy eyebrows were raised about the snarling frontman's late nights leading up to the illness. An old-school punch-up was the only way they would ever be able to settle their differences. It eventually happened - and the last scrap sadly signals an end to their incredible career.

I'm well aware the Sun is not a reputable newspaper or anything. But man, the passive voice of "eyebrows were raised" is totally saved by the fact that the editors let them insert "bushy" in front of it. And the casual acceptance of brawling is just great. I think American journalism would be in a better place if we could adopt the British habit of tempering obsessive interest in celebrities with coverage that treats them like the utterly absurd species that they are. Much better this than the Associated Press announcing that it's beefing up the Britney Spears beat as a business decision. That's just boring.