Baby-Making Music


Image used under a Creative Commons license courtesy of Lhoretsë.

You guys, there is a new Andre 3000 single out (which I guess has been circulating since July, but I just got it, so it's new to me, and DAMN), a verse and chorus of which you can listen to here, and it is AWESOME.  "Hey Ya!" is a great song, but it was always too bitter a song to actually be baby-making music, there's a cynicism and an honesty to "I don't want to meet your mama / I just want to make you come-ah" that's refreshing, but no matter how big a hit it became, it was never music to get utterly lost in.  "Look 4 Ya" is.  Oh, it is.  The verse is sexually adventurous without any attempt to subjugate one partner to another's fantasy: "Like we work at Ikea / Test every piece out of furniture to see if it's stable / If you want to take it out on me / Then do it on the table."  And the chorus is really sweet, the singer crooning "See if I can find you now / I've been looking for you."  It's totally tender, no disturbing sense of the chase on it.  That combination of winsomeness and desire is fantastic, and Andre's rhymes sound smooth and relaxed.  It's as if he's refined and improved on the ideas Cee-Lo Green was working on in "All Day Love Affair," and I'm crazy about it.