Diablo Cody Re-Enrolls In High School


Image used under a Creative Commons license courtesy Josh Jensen.

Commenter (and real-life friend) RachaelB messaged me this morning with the news that Diablo Cody's going to make a Sweet Valley High movie.  And I feel bad about this, but I'm just not sure I care.  Somehow, I managed to get through school without reading more than the back of a single Sweet Valley book (from that alone, it seems like things got scandalous when they got to college, but that's about what I remember).  If someone wants to push my nostalgia button, they'll make a good Babysitters Club movie, preferably based on one of the Super Specials, where everyone goes someplace crazy, and one of the girls smooches somebody's brother.

My real problem, though, is that Diablo Cody seems to have been assigned responsibility for redefining an entire generation's-worth of lady-genres: the pregnant teen movie, the horror movie, the pulpy high school movie.  I didn't like Juno very much, but I've come to appreciate Cody, mostly through her Entertainment Weekly column, which balances earnestness and thoughtfulness with the snark more than I thought her screenwriting debut did.  But I just don't see her as the reinterpretater of a generation.  Particularly not mine, which I feel a little defensive about, even if I can't claim all the source material as my own.