Out of Sight

While I tend to think that the chase-a-public-figure-who-doesn't-want-to-talk-to-you genre is a bit tired as a means of political journalism (how do you beat Roger and Me?), I think in some cases, it can be intriguing.  One of them would appear to be Nevin Martell's upcoming book about trying to Calvin and Hobbes creator Bill Watterson.  Artists have the right to talk or not talk to whoever they wish, of course, and it's entirely fair to ask questions about how invasive these kinds of projects can get.  There are different accountability standards for individuals who create art that many people enjoy, and individuals who make public policy or business decisions that have vast impacts on other people.  But I think what's interesting, in addition to Watterson's decision to walk away from huge amounts of money, is hiding yourself from the genuine love people feel for your work--and for you for creating it.  I remember reading Calvin and Hobbes as a child--and I remember crying as an adult reading the series of strips where Calvin broke his father's binoculars.  I think the love people feel for Calvin and Hobbes is remarkably deep.  But if Watterson wants to separate himself from that, it's his choice, even if I don't understand it.