Surrender

So, I wouldn't say I actively love Lady Gaga so much that I've kind of accepted her effectiveness. She's sort of a brutally efficient pop machine, and that's okay, but it doesn't inspire a lot of deep-seated affection. And I've always thought lyrics were her real, deep weakness. But every once in a while, she kind of surprises me. The "I'm your biggest fan / I'll follow you until you love me" line in "Paparazzi," particularly her inflection in delivering it, is unexpectedly effective. (As is the insane video:


Lady Gaga - Paparazzi (Official Music Video)

Lady Gaga | MySpace Video
)

As is her delivery of the stark lines "I want your love / And I want your revenge / I want your love / I don't want to be friends" in her new single "Bad Romance." Perhaps I like it because I think refusing to be friends with someone who doesn't love you is sort of the relationship equivalent of so-called Bad Mother behavior: it's an emotionally honest and self-protective thing to do in some situations, or it can be, but you're not supposed to do it if someone offers.  But I also think I just like the masochism of the verse, and find it effective, even if I think there's a lot of annoying nonsense surrounding it.