Music for Our Times

Y'all know my feelings about the usefulness, or lack thereof, of Top 10 lists.  But friend and colleague Ross Gianfortune's Top 10 albums of the decade has the virtue of being pretty different from most I've seen.  And his meditation on the record he puts in the number one slot, Isis's Panopticon is well worth reading:

In a post-9/11 world (that is a phrase I never thought I'd put on this site), Panopticon is a letter of warning, a letter of reflection and a recitation of apology. Indeed, Isis accomplishes this all while maintaining a minimal lyric sheet. I'm not sure I've everheard a record say so much with so little in the way of lyrics. No, it's not instrumental, but Aaron Turner uses simple lines ("Backlit" features a lovely "Always on you" line to build the song's structure). Similarly, the guitar work is measured and phrased in such a way that the band is almost writing a concise story. The "Syndic Calls" guitar breaks are rhytmic and heavy, repeating and building. Like the best post-rock, Panopticon is not afraid of slowly constructing musical phrases.
Every time I listen to Panopticon, I marvel at how layered and beautiful it is, as an album. Relying on anticipation more than anything, the album has an unparalelled tension. Even with the cookie monster growl and a reminder of our fucked up existence, it's the album of the decade. Both gorgeous and reflective, it's brilliant.

I'm not a huge metal person, with the exception of some Rammstein Tony got me into in high school.  But a while back, Ross lent me a bunch of quality metal albums at my request, and I can definitely say Panopticon has stuck with me.  It's less squashed-cat-yowly than a lot of metal, and that's a great thing.  The record sounds to me like an angry ocean, the roar of a tide that's pulling you under.  If you're intimidated by metal but want an entry album that's uncompromising and strong, I'd definitely reccomend Panopticon, and Isis more generally.