Dealbreakers

Image of a minor Lord of Darkness used under a Creative Commons license courtesy of OtterFreak.

I laughed a lot reading Michael Jones' meditation on pop cultural dealbreakers in relationships.  Steely Dan is his:

And the world, in all of its once promising glory, crashes down around you.
How could you have ever ever ever in a million years spent time with this person? All those thousand moments of looking out over the ocean in seeming perfect unanimity of thought, two hearts as one and one heart was secretly singing: "Rikki Don't Lose That Number."
This while claiming "Sympathy for the Devil" was to be your wedding march?
This is serious stuff.
I tend to think that the existence of the iPod has made these kinds of pop culture shocks a lot less of a big deal.  We can all rock out to our own private soundtracks most of the time.  Except for road trips and weddings, accord doesn't actually matter that much.  As for me, I can definitely say I would draw the line at any Fred Durst-connected project.  But the bar is probably higher than that.  I'll have to give it some thought.