Breaking The News

Can I say how ridiculously glad I am to see that someone has remembered that Harrison Ford has a sense of humor? It's like watching Han Solo do broadcast news on a bad day, but older:



I cannot say often enough how much I enjoy intergenerational comedy. Serious stuff between old people and young people often gets ridiculously maudlin, and the trailer for Morning Glory definitely veers that way in the long voiceover.  But one of the most profound things I've learned in my working life is that friendships with older people are not just possible, but invaluable; when you build your chosen family away from home, it's important that you have not just friends-as-siblings but friends-as-parents-and-grand-parents-and-wacky-uncles.

Plus, Rachel McAdams asking Patrick Wilson, mid-hookup, "how reliable is your alarm clock?" is hilarious and entirely convincing. Not that she isn't in other scenes.  One thing I'll be really interested to see if Morning Glory addresses is whether the news business, specifically, is a career worth throwing away your personal life for.  I've been waiting a while for the poignant "journalism is dying" movie, and while I don't really think it'll be it, it will be interesting to see if it at least acknowledges the deep and abiding difficulties of the industry.

But all of those concerns aside, it's good to know there's going to be a wacky-local-news-team movie out there to fill the hole in my heart left by the failure to get Anchorman 2 off the ground.