The Girl Can't Help It

I would be absolutely fine with the Black Eyed Peas breaking up, both because they've become obnoxious and sonically much worse, but also because it would allow Fergie to do a solo album. But I do think it's worth remembering that brief moment in 2003 when Fergie had just joined the Peas, and they were kind of charming. "Where Is The Love?" is hardly the most intelligent political song in any genre, but it definitely had Song of the Summer status that year, and the video is kind of charmingly low-rent, particularly the shots of the dudes riding around in a sound track:



And I like the high-school-play-from-hell vibe of "Shut Up, too. That was the first moment when they really knew how to use Fergie, I think:



It all got bad, both in quality and annoyance value, really, really fast. But there was some potential there, and something endearing. If Fergie quits, has a kid, and goes solo, I hope she figures out how to get it back. There was a lot to like on her solo album. I really would like another one. Particularly if she and Lil Mama get together and combine some of the aesthetics from "Clumsy" and "Truly in Love."