I'm Happy for Gabrielle Union For Getting The Work, But...

Image used under a Creative Commons license courtesy of bigdmia.

It's a damn shame and a bad reflection on the industry that she is unemployed enough to do a Lifetime show. My main association with her is the great teen movies of my comparative youth: the decent popular chick in She's All That, the horrible social climber in Ten Things I Hate About You, the head cheerleader in Bring It On. I did really like her alpha big sister in Deliver Us From Eva, as a big sister myself, in part because, like Sanaa Lathan's character in Something New, she had an actual, real-person job, instead of one of those fake gigs chicks in the movies always had. She hasn't been in a major movie in a long time, though, and I can't figure out why. She's good at holding a screen. Maybe it's just that Union isn't a teenager any more, and there are fewer black female sidekick roles, and even fewer black female lead roles. Even if that's the case, I can't figure out why she isn't getting tapped for more of them. She's still insanely gorgeous, and presumably she hasn't had her comic timing surgically removed.