No Matter What I Do, All I Think About Is You

I'm not super-into coronating a song of the summer, but as I wrote at The Atlantic yesterday, if there's got to be one in 2010, I'm kind of rooting for it to be by Kelly Rowland's "Commander." As I explain:



The chorus is absolutely gigantic, way bigger than any of the verses, and more important than David Guetta's minor lyrical interventions. It's a high-concept understanding of the dance floor, even if it's not my preferred interpretation of that space. If love and shaking it are war, Kelly seems like she'd be a pretty decent person to have boss you around in both.
And the truth is, I'd really like to see Rowland succeed on her own, much in the same way I root for Solange Knowles. I genuinely don't have anything against Beyonce, I just think that she shines so bright and hot that sometimes I want to see what's obscured by that stardom. And other than "Dilemma," Rowland's extremely amiable 2002 duet with Nelly (speaking of folks I'd like to make a compelling return), she hasn't really had a significant hit on her own.
Speaking of which, what happened to Nelly? Guy had decent skills, and a sort of suburban version of hip-hop that seems like it ought to have stuck around a bit.