Snacks and Stereotypes

I have to say, I'm feeling a bit mixed about the trailer for Nikki Blonsky's new television show, Huge:



It's not so much that I have fully-developed opinions on size acceptance, Body Mass Index as a useful measurements, etc. that the show sets off. I just think that Blonsky's line reading of "Everyone wants us to hate our bodies. Well, I refuse to," is pretty wooden. Given, it's a pretty bad line in the first place. And I do understand the rationale for addressing body image issues directly and clearly, without inference or subtext, especially in a show aimed at teenagers. But how much better was she in Hairspray, where her character just lives a happy life in stubborn (and perhaps mostly unaware) defiance of the ugliness all around her than she is in these clips? And it doesn't help a lot to deconstruct stereotypes of heavy people to show an adjacent scene of Blonsky swiping another girl's abandoned dessert.