Toy Stories, Part II: No Spoilers Edition

So, I don't think I'd ever particularly considered this going into Toy Story 3, but Andy's mom is a single mother. I didn't notice it until a scene where Woody considers Andy's high school graduation, but it's just his mother, his sister, and him in the picture. Apparently canon says she's a widow, but the movie never establishes that. It just takes for granted that their family functions just fine without a guy in the picture, whether his absence is due to abandonment, death, or divorce, and it never, ever judges Andy's mother for being on her own and not remarrying. I realize, of course, that the family other than Andy is semi-peripheral to the series. But I really do appreciate that the movie is firm about the fact that this archetypal American family doesn't have to be composed of a store-issue set of parts.

I realized, watching the movie this week, that Andy's actually older than my younger brother. I was 10 when I met him, and now he's going to college, 15 years later. No matter who else is in that family Andy Davis is basically my generation's kid brother.