Legends

So, am I a) just secretly eight years old, b) warped by reading George R.R. Martin, or c) does Legend of the Guardians look kind of amazing?





I realize I am asking you guys to consider a movie that is about fluffy adorable owls, by a guy who made 300 and kind of messed up Watchmen, and whose next movie after this is a steampunk-exploitation-abuse movie with a pretty awesome-looking female cast, and with the subtitle "The Owls of Ga'Hoole." But doesn't the animation, particularly in HD, look insanely gorgeous and detailed? Doesn't the adventure narrative seem very slightly less insanely trite than most of the junk that's shoveled at kids these days? Isn't the choice of owls seem...refreshing after all the talking dogs and cats that have cursed our theaters recently? If it's a high-stakes, tense action narrative based on a reasonably sophisticated mythology, I'll definitely go see it, if only as a way to put my money behind my belief that kids these days deserve better, even if they're too young to ask for it.