Mercedes Benz

I think it's fascinating that often, as soon as actors reach a certain level of famous, they try to figure out if they can convince people they're someone else famous. In other words, they try to make a killer biopic. The latest actress to go this route? Amy Adams (her turn as Julie Powell doesn't count), who will be following in the esteemed footsteps of 30 Rock's Jenna Maroney and playing (licensed, this time, one presumes) Janis Joplin. Adams has relied so often on her wide eyes and ability to appear sweetly flustered that I think this is a good move for her, and a good opportunity for her to stretch. And we know she can sing:



Channeling Janis will require something a little bit different:



But I think Adams may be up for it. They both grew up in the West or Mountain West, and both had strong early religious upbringings they moved beyond. I don't know that it's a guaranteed success, of course, these things never are. I admire Adams for wanting to do something a bit more difficult than what she's tackled lately, and so I'll root for her.