Five Fall Shows to Check Out

There are plenty of new shows starting in September, and the list can get overwhelming. Here are five that might be worth a look. (Note: I would have included The Event, but BabylonSista already wrote about it.)

1. Lone Star (FOX, Mondays at 9)
This Texas-set soapy drama is about big oil and a con man living with a double life - until he decides that he's in love with both of his "fake" families. It looks ambitious and stylish, and bonus: Adrianne Palicki from Friday Night Lights stars.



2. Hawaii Five-0 (CBS, Mondays at 10)
I'll admit that I've never seen the original, and I don't think the world necessarily needs more cop shows. But the cast here looks great - Scott Caan, Alex O'Loughlin, Grace Park, Daniel Dae Kim. And James Marsters is in the first episode!



3. Undercovers (NBC, Wednesdays at 8)
Who doesn't love a nice spy show? But what particularly interests me about this one is that the main characters are married when the show starts. It should be a refreshing change from the "Will they or won't they?" that's standard on so many shows. (They could get rid of the word "sexpionage" any time now, though.)



4. Blue Bloods (CBS, Fridays at 10)
I love me some Donnie-Wahlberg-as-cop (see also: Rizzoli & Isles), and Tom Selleck and Bridget Moynahan don't hurt either. This is supposed to be less of a procedural and more of a family drama about people who happen to be cops, so I'm looking forward to seeing what they do with that. The only drawback: because of Wahlberg, I keep thinking it's set in Boston, but it's actually New York.



5. Outlaw (NBC, Fridays at 10)
Supreme Court Justice Jimmy Smits resigns to go back into practicing law on behalf of the little guy. Or to change the way the Court works. Or something. I'm not entirely sold on the premise, but I love Jimmy Smits, and the supporting cast seems to have good chemistry, so I'll give it a try.