Raise Your Glass

So, I got to go to the Human Rights Campaign National Dinner on Saturday, by which I mean, I sat in the press pool, and got to be in proximity to Pink, which was pretty much a high point. And I'm curious to see how her video for this song:



which she says will be a supportive statement in favor of marriage equality, will turn out. I think we're at an interesting stage in the resurgence of music videos. Certainly, Lady Gaga's turned them back into event releases, but I don't know if they have the ability to swing anybody on anything. Certainly Gaga herself turned to straight broadcasts and conventional rallies when she wanted to get the message out about her opposition to Don't Ask, Don't Tell, and it's not really clear that she had any particular impact on the debate. That said, I do think having gay characters and gay relationships in both the foreground and background of our popular culture is helpful. Even small emotional nudges are helpful.