Chill, He's Just An Alien

I really have no idea what to make of Paul:



I have no idea, given how deeply they've become embedded into my understanding of clever-things-I-like, if I was as disoriented by the genre mashups that were Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz. Maybe the problem with this is that I can't quite figure out what the clever juxtaposition is? Buddy comedy with alien movie, I suppose? I do like the insinuation that it's far more disturbing when people you think you know do slightly strange things than when entirely alien beings proceed in their own entirely alien way, and that first contact might prove to be no big deal. Nick Frost and Simon Pegg are clever enough to pull off worse comedies, I suppose. I just hope there's something slightly more insane here than we're seeing in the trailer, some spark of inspiration that doesn't feel quite so derived from Men In Black.