Full Moon

Well, the studio's being crabby and won't let me embed it, but I'm intrigued by the trailer for The Wolfman. I like me some Benicio Del Toro and Emily Blunt. But mostly I like me some movies that suggest that the supernatural is actually frightening. Vampires are defanged, or sparkly, or John C. Reilly these days, which I supposes fills all sorts of niches for all sorts of people, but none of which tickle my scary bone. It looks like The Wolfman is going to get at all of our magic-related terrors: Del Toro gets dunked in ice water in what looks like a pretty frightening exorcism, threatens to kill a bunch of decent-if-superstitious townspeople in a courthouse, and I'm pretty sure he's not stalking Blunt in the trailers' last scene because he's going to surprise her with a fluffy puppy and two tickets to Disney World. And that's all too the good. Lately, I think America's replaced Things That Go Bump In The Night with Eli Roth's flayed and gutted girls in the category of things we want to be frightened by. And I think the former is better for introspection, and probably better for art.