Nostalgia

I was really, spectacularly off the internet for the second half of last week, which was incredibly refreshing. But it also, of course, meant that people went and posted a lot of good stuff, and I'm only catching up now. One of the things I missed was Vulture's defense of Third Eye Blind, which raised a whole bunch of points I hadn't particularly considered about the band. And it gave me a chance to revisit my personal favorite Third Eye Blind song, the kind of remarkable "Motorcycle Drive-By." As I've said before, I'm a total lyrics fiend, and I love the lyrics in this one. But it's also a song where the lyrics and music crest and fall together. "Motorcycle Drive-By" is the best encapsulation I know of the emotional arc at the end of a relationship:


You've got wistfulness, preemptive nostalgia, rage, exhaustion, and the decision to move on for your own good. Plus, I just love this image of letting someone you love go:

Visions of you on a motorcycle drive-by
The cigarette ash flies in your eyes and you don't mind
You smile, and say the world it doesn't fit with you
I don't believe you, you're so serene
Careening through the universe
Your axis on a tilt
You're guiltless and free
I hope you take a piece of me with you
Putting "serene" and "careening" next to each other? Kills me every time, sonically and verbally. And I'll admit to associating it with a particular guy who was a senior in high school when I was a sophomore, and I'm sure never gave me a second thought. He smoked cigarettes, which I thought was both stupid and daring because he knew it was stupid, and angry, which I thought was frightening but interesting. It's a good song that can work for you when you're 15, 21, and 25. We'll see how it holds up beyond that.