I Want to Be You Whenever I See You Smiling

I don't much like "best-of" lists, and while this one that Andrew Sullivan is pretty indie-tastic, it's actually not bad.  I appreciate the nod for the Zach Galifianakis-Will Oldham "Can't Tell Me Nothing" video, which is pretty brilliant.  But (though they get much-deserved credit for "Who's Gonna Save My Soul?") it's absolutely criminal that the genius video for Gnarls Barkley's "Smiley Faces" isn't on the list.  It's a hilarious concept: two music historians fighting over the existence of a fictional musician named Gnarls Barkley, who is thought to have had a hand in all the major popular music movements of the last century.  But it's also beautiful and audacious: the video sneaks Cee-Lo Green and Danger Mouse into footage or photo shoots from those great movements, and in doing so asserts Gnarls Barkley's place among them.  I adore Cee-Lo, and I can acknowledge that it's a bit of an overreach, but the whole thing is so playful that it doesn't seem exhaustingly pretentious.  With tongue-in-cheek bits like their appearance in a Yellow Submarine-like movie titled Baron Von Counterculture's Groovy Purple Dirigible, it's impossible to take any of the video's claim to greatness too seriously, and the framing device punctures the idea anyway.  But it is a great video, by a pair of collaborators who have some wonderful work.  I wish they'd get credit for that so Cee-Lo can go back to making solo albums.