The Christmas Music Post

By Shani

Obviously, not everyone who reads this blog is Christian, and for that matter, not everyone who contributes to this blog is Christian. I'm not.

But I love Christmas music. Hard. And the second week of December is when I start playing it nonstop. So, without any further ado, I present to you: Shani's favorite Christmas songs.

Favorite traditional song:
"O Holy Night" by Johnny Mathis. Mathis's voice is insanely beautiful. He doesn't oversing at all, like most performers of this song do.



Favorite jazz song:
"Baby It's Cold Outside." Ray Charles/Betty Carter version, of course. But I have five different versions of it on my computer. I also dig the Leon Redbone/Zooey Deschanel version, and since the Ray Charles version isn't available on YouTube, I'll give you the latter. (But do avail yourself of Ray and Betty ASAP.)



Favorite soul song:
this is a close one between The Temptations' version of "Silent Night" and Donny Hathaway's "This Christmas." The Temptations win by a nose.



Favorite pop song:
Mariah Carey's "All I Want For Christmas Is You." Perfect, perfect mix of holiday cheer and pop music. Very few pop songs become enduring holiday classics and I think this one makes the cut.



Bonus! Favorite not-Christmas song:
Adam Sandler's "Chanukah Song," parts 1 & 2. (Part 3 totally jumped the shark).



There you have it. Your guest-blogger is a total cliche. Let me know what your favorite holiday music is in the comments.