One Woman's Revelation...

So, I have not read the book but Eat, Pray, Love looks like a pretty dopey movie:



Maybe it's jealousy--I would love to be able to take a year off and travel, though I think I'd get bored, and I've never had a problem that required me to dump James Franco--but I don't know how this qualifies as an "incredible true story."  I think Elizabeth Gilbert did something that sounds like a lot of fun: take a trip funded by a book advance (I will be curious if the movie addresses that).  I think she probably learned lessons that are important and extractable for a lot of women who don't have that kind of luxury, though it makes me incredibly, incredibly sad that one of those lessons is, apparently, that it's okay to have an intense relationship with the food in Italy and that it is not a tragedy to go up a jeans size.  That such a thing counts as a revelation means we live in shrunken times indeed.

I don't mean to harsh on the profundity of Gilbert's experience, which was meaningful for her and a lot of other people.  I just am not that interested in this movie.  One great virtue of dumb action movies as opposed to the palest chick flicks is this: when they say something is momentous, one usually gets at least an explosion.