Show Him The Money

Image used under a Creative Commons license courtesy of joelmeadows1.

I'm so ridiculously excited to see The Losers this weekend.  And this Times interview with Idris Elba has jacked my crush on him, and my anticipation for the movie, up to a whole other level.  As I've written before, I kind of respect folks who are honest about their commercial intentions, something Elba absolutely is.  But I also hope Elba gets to a level where he can be extreme well-remunerated and also do that only in excellent projects.  One of the folks interviewed in the profile notes that “I think he deserves to have his own franchise, like James Bond or something.”  I would have loved to see Elba as a black Captain America.  Or in a Black Panther franchise that did awesome things with Storm.  Or as a Bond-like character in the CIA or contemporary MI-6.  Or really in almost anything.  I really hope it happens for him.  And for all of us watching.