Legendary Beauty

Image used under a Creative Commons license courtesy of truus, bob and jan too.

The news that Angelina Jolie's going to play Cleopatra in a movie is incredibly predictable and deeply boring. There are debates over whether or not she was a babe, but ultimately, they're irrelevant. A movie about a woman who decides to use seduction as a means of securing political power is much more interesting than a movie about a woman who is just beautiful.

This may not be the case for everyone, but Angelina Jolie has reached the point where it's hard for me to see beyond her beauty on the screen. It's overwhelming. It's hard to imagine anything bad happening to someone who looks that good. Someone like that will always have protectors, although I suppose sometimes those protectors could have bad intentions. Knowing how much money she has, it's hard to imagine she ever wants anything. And so I have an incredibly difficult time forgetting who she is in real life. I know too much about her, or too much about what's been made up about her, to get it all out of my brain. I'd like to see a new Cleopatra movie, given my semi-long-running obsession with ancient Egypt. But I feel like Jolie, rather than being a draw, will actually make me stay away from this one.