Y'All Are Convincing

I downloaded A Game of Thrones onto my Kindle on Friday. As soon as I finish Operation Mincemeat, it's up next. But in exchange, can I seriously urge you guys to read Mincemeat? It made it onto my list after Malcolm Gladwell's New Yorker review, less because I'm super-interested in spycraft (though my colleague Shane Harris has done a lot to correct that), but because it's just a great story. For those of you not familiar, a bunch of British spies, inspired by cheesy spy novels, decided to create a fictional dead man (though the body they used was very much real), arm him with papers suggesting an alternate Allied invasion route into Occupied Europe, drop it off the coast of Spain, and hope the Nazis would find it and fall for the misinformation. All of which they did.  It absolutely demands a contemporary film or miniseries adaptation, particularly because earlier versions were based on a deliberately misleading account of the case written by one of the spies responsible, and Operation Mincemeat updates the historical record, which was much more eccentric than anyone actually admitted even when they came clean about it.

Ideally, it's something I'd like to see the BBC make, since Americans would excise or misunderstand the cultural particulars. I think it's telling that in the premium cable resurgence, the two closest things we've gotten to British shows are Little Britain USA, which garnered a far larger British audience than American one, and The Tudors, which seems far too silly to count. The folks behind Spooks would do a cracking job with Operation Mincemeat, I think. And they could even bring in Rupert Penry-Jones and Matthew Macfayden to play the two main spys at the heart of the plot on the British side.