Death of a Fansite

While I was watching Community in the same timeslot as Bones this fall, I missed a lot of episodes, and also missed the shuttering of Obsessed With Bones, a cheerful and kindly fansite for the show I read from time to time and which was often generous enough to link to things I wrote. I was surprised at how sorry I was at the news. Wendy kept up a good site with a constructive commenting section, but it wasn't like I was a daily reader or anything. It's just more evidence, I suppose, that what we consume is what we do, but I liked knowing that the site was out there, and knowing that Wendy had created a community around it. And it's also evidence that when shows, series, artists, whatever, change, so do people's lives. For years, Bones was a show that meant enough to Wendy to structure part of her life around it, and now it's not any more.

I don't really have any attachments to culture that exert that kind of pull on me at the moment, though I've certainly had those flings with Star Wars* and some television and movie series. And I don't know that it says something either about the quality of our lives or the quality of our culture that we get attached like this. Rather, I'm glad we live in a time when technology makes it easier for shared affinity to be the basis for community.


*I promise, by the way, that the Extended Universe project is back this year.