Summerweight

Sadly, I can't embed it, but the Vistoso Bosses' "Delirious" is pretty, catchy summer pop, and the second song I've heard in recent months that caught my attention with a combination of featherweight sung vocals, a rap section, and a 1950's video aesthetic.  For the Vistoso Bosses, it's school buses, full skirts, hair bows, saddle shoes and amusement parts.  For Lil' Mama, it's a teen version of a club: 

"Truly in Love" was released for Valentine's Day, but it's got the air of a summer jam all the way, something that, parenthetically, gives me further cause for concern about how her career is being handled.  Girl is seriously talented.  Don't believe me?  Don't waste your time with the original, but watch her demolish the criminally untalented Avril Lavigne in this remix of "Girlfriend."  The "Biggie / Mama / B-R-double-O-klyn drama" line at the end of her first verse is priceless.  And yet her first album sank like a stone despite the undeniable likability of "Lip Gloss," maybe because it was poorly promoted, maybe because she ended up doing some more serious stuff about teen pregnancy or a weirdly aggressive collaboration with Chris Brown and T-Pain that doesn't really suit her exuberance.  Anyway, I hope something works out for her.  I'm really invested in the outcome of the in-song conversation between pop and hip-hop, and I think Lil' Mama could be a really fun part of that.